Urgently Needed: ESL Teachers for the New Year
Our ESL Monday team is in urgent need of 3-4 ESL teachers for the new year. If you are fluent in English, love encouraging others in conversation, are a great listener, curious about other cultures, and open to practicing your facilitation skills, this is a great opportunity for you to serve. New term begins January 12, 2015. Interested? Read on then contact Sam Mudiappahpillai, firstname.lastname@example.org
About Knox Monday ESL Classes
Monday ESL Classes is a program offered by Knox Presbyterian Church as a means of Gospel-centred welcome, hospitality, and service to Internationals in the city of Toronto in need of developing English language skills. We strive to provide a safe environment to learn and practice English, learn about Canadian culture, and meet new friends in the context of conversational English lessons. Through teaching English, we live out the Gospel as we show God’s love by engaging a practical need of new comers to the city.
Our program time on Mondays includes dinner (at 6:15), classes from 6:45-8:45, and occasional 20min teacher meetings after class.
Beyond ESL classes, our students are free to engage in further conversation with leaders about God and are always welcome to join in other activities of the Knox Community, such as bible study and worship.
ESL Teacher Role
ESL teachers are invited to:
- Commit to the semester of weekly classes (10-12 weeks, Monday evenings)
- Conduct quality classes at the given language level
- Focus on excellence in class, giving each student ample opportunity to speak
- Partake in an environment of hospitality including joining students for dinner, or being available during the week to students as friendships may develop
- Attend training time(s)
- Work well with our team and be willing to learn/grow personally
- Participate in occasional 20 min team meetings following classes, Monday nights
- Willing to pray/study scripture as a team
- Give well advanced notice wherever possible, if you will be away from Monday ESL
Professional teaching experience is not required, but strong interest and experience in teaching or tutoring in either formal or informal settings is an asset.
Teachers must agree with the vision and values of Knox and pledge to promote them and work within them. Also, as ESL learners are considered a vulnerable population, teachers must be willing to submit a police check.